Monday, June 17, 2013

The Lahaie Butter Tart 2.0

After my first attempt at making butter tarts and then visiting Midland's first Butter Tart Festival, I had the itch to continue improving upon the recipe I had until I made a butter tart reminiscent of (or better than!) my favourite bakery-bought one. 

My ultimate goal: enter at least one batch into the Festival next year!

So in this batch, I used the same pastry recipe and tried a filling from Canadian Living magazine (below). My only changes next time will be to omit the second egg (as it was not nearly runny enough) and make a double batch of pastry dough; this filling goes a long way.

Filling from Canadian Living:
3/4 cup (175 mL) packed brown sugar

1/2 cup (125 mL) maple syrup, (No. 1 medium grade)
1/3 cup (75 mL) butter, melted
2 eggs (I would add only one)
1 tbsp (15 mL) cider vinegar
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt

Once I've perfected the basic butter tart recipe I am really excited to try different variations, particular to think outside of general convention. One recipe I'm dying to try is a Chai Tea Butter Tart, simply adding the spices that give the tea it's wonderful warm flavour. 


Everyone seems to have their own idea as to what makes the "perfect" butter tart. I like mine firm and with nuts. Chris likes his somewhere between firm and runny, while loaded with raisins. My boys love any as long as they have nothing else in them. So what's your favourite? I would love any suggestions to flavours I could try when I start experimenting too!


No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear what you thought about this post - and if you have any questions, or a suggestion about a topic you would like to see covered, let us know! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, and for visiting our "Somewhat-Urban" Homestead!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...